[ ]   [ ]   [ ]                        [ ]      [ ]   [ ]

Radio Paradise Comments - kenmo - Jun 25, 2022 - 10:59pm
 
Supreme Court Rulings - kurtster - Jun 25, 2022 - 10:54pm
 
Wordle - daily game - NoEnzLefttoSplit - Jun 25, 2022 - 10:11pm
 
RightWingNutZ - kcar - Jun 25, 2022 - 7:15pm
 
What Did You Do Today? - Antigone - Jun 25, 2022 - 5:14pm
 
Positive Thoughts and Prayer Requests - Antigone - Jun 25, 2022 - 4:48pm
 
M.A.G.A. - R_P - Jun 25, 2022 - 4:25pm
 
Terrorist Watch! - Red_Dragon - Jun 25, 2022 - 2:58pm
 
Hockey + Fantasy Hockey - GeneP59 - Jun 25, 2022 - 2:32pm
 
I like cheese - GeneP59 - Jun 25, 2022 - 2:29pm
 
SECESSION: The Republic of Texas? - Isabeau - Jun 25, 2022 - 2:20pm
 
Name My Band - Isabeau - Jun 25, 2022 - 2:11pm
 
Counting with Pictures - ScottN - Jun 25, 2022 - 1:15pm
 
The Abortion Wars - R_P - Jun 25, 2022 - 11:52am
 
Love is... - oldviolin - Jun 25, 2022 - 10:42am
 
Live Music - oldviolin - Jun 25, 2022 - 10:28am
 
What is the meaning of this? - oldviolin - Jun 25, 2022 - 10:14am
 
YouTube: Music-Videos - oldviolin - Jun 25, 2022 - 10:10am
 
Today in History - HarleyRider - Jun 25, 2022 - 9:56am
 
What Are You Going To Do Today? - Red_Dragon - Jun 25, 2022 - 9:52am
 
260,000 Posts in one thread? - oldviolin - Jun 25, 2022 - 9:25am
 
How's the weather? - GeneP59 - Jun 24, 2022 - 6:49pm
 
Things You Thought Today - GeneP59 - Jun 24, 2022 - 6:32pm
 
Bug Reports & Feature Requests - lminfo - Jun 24, 2022 - 5:12pm
 
Vinyl Only Spin List - KurtfromLaQuinta - Jun 24, 2022 - 4:11pm
 
Germany - R_P - Jun 24, 2022 - 2:38pm
 
Stuff you bought today. - ScottFromWyoming - Jun 24, 2022 - 10:25am
 
• • • The Once-a-Day • • •  - black321 - Jun 24, 2022 - 8:53am
 
Country Up The Bumpkin - oldviolin - Jun 24, 2022 - 8:42am
 
Memorials - Remembering Our Loved Ones - miamizsun - Jun 24, 2022 - 8:12am
 
Trump - islander - Jun 24, 2022 - 8:06am
 
Ukraine - R_P - Jun 23, 2022 - 11:35pm
 
Russia - NoEnzLefttoSplit - Jun 23, 2022 - 10:34pm
 
Tech & Science - miamizsun - Jun 23, 2022 - 5:38pm
 
Cryptic Posts - Leave Them Guessing - oldviolin - Jun 23, 2022 - 4:25pm
 
Upcoming concerts or shows you can't wait to see - ScottFromWyoming - Jun 23, 2022 - 3:46pm
 
Mixtape Culture Club - miamizsun - Jun 23, 2022 - 12:51pm
 
Pernicious Pious Proclivities Particularized Prodigiously - R_P - Jun 23, 2022 - 12:15pm
 
Outstanding Covers - Steely_D - Jun 23, 2022 - 8:24am
 
Summer vacation plans? - Skydog - Jun 23, 2022 - 5:46am
 
Baseball, anyone? - Skydog - Jun 23, 2022 - 5:25am
 
how do you feel right now? - NoEnzLefttoSplit - Jun 22, 2022 - 9:51pm
 
TV shows you watch - Steely_D - Jun 22, 2022 - 5:54pm
 
Crazy conspiracy theories - Steely_D - Jun 22, 2022 - 2:06pm
 
Talk Behind Their Backs Forum - VV - Jun 22, 2022 - 2:05pm
 
Mars Exploration Rover Mission Status - miamizsun - Jun 22, 2022 - 10:14am
 
Things I Read Today - NoEnzLefttoSplit - Jun 22, 2022 - 9:22am
 
2016 Elections - Skydog - Jun 22, 2022 - 8:28am
 
Sublime Soundtracks - Skydog - Jun 22, 2022 - 5:12am
 
• • •  What's For Dinner ? • • •  - ScottFromWyoming - Jun 21, 2022 - 8:14pm
 
Poetry Forum - miamizsun - Jun 21, 2022 - 6:43pm
 
Nuclear power - saviour or scourge? - miamizsun - Jun 21, 2022 - 6:34pm
 
What the world needs now is .... - Skydog - Jun 21, 2022 - 5:27pm
 
World & Eclectic Mix - GetBakedTonight - Jun 21, 2022 - 1:22am
 
Photography Forum - Your Own Photos - KurtfromLaQuinta - Jun 20, 2022 - 9:01pm
 
Happy Father's Day - Bill_J - Jun 20, 2022 - 8:23pm
 
Animal Resistance - Red_Dragon - Jun 20, 2022 - 3:58pm
 
Movie Recommendation - Manbird - Jun 20, 2022 - 2:46pm
 
Greetings from New York! - kcar - Jun 20, 2022 - 11:01am
 
Lyrics that strike a chord today... - oldviolin - Jun 20, 2022 - 9:48am
 
songs that ROCK! - oldviolin - Jun 20, 2022 - 9:43am
 
Fiverr Anyone? - ScottFromWyoming - Jun 20, 2022 - 8:21am
 
Art Show - Proclivities - Jun 20, 2022 - 7:39am
 
BillyGee's Greatest Segues - Skydog - Jun 20, 2022 - 4:05am
 
Climate Change - R_P - Jun 19, 2022 - 11:45am
 
New Recruit - KurtfromLaQuinta - Jun 18, 2022 - 4:37pm
 
What makes you smile? - KurtfromLaQuinta - Jun 18, 2022 - 4:21pm
 
Paul McCartney - KurtfromLaQuinta - Jun 18, 2022 - 4:19pm
 
Aliens: The Answer To Everything! - KurtfromLaQuinta - Jun 18, 2022 - 4:14pm
 
Yellowstone is in Wyoming Meetup • Aug. 11 2007 • YEA... - Steely_D - Jun 18, 2022 - 1:02pm
 
Last gas price paid? - PFM - Jun 18, 2022 - 8:19am
 
Gotta Get Your Drink On - Antigone - Jun 17, 2022 - 4:10pm
 
What Did You See Today? - Antigone - Jun 17, 2022 - 3:54pm
 
Coffee - ScottFromWyoming - Jun 17, 2022 - 3:42pm
 
Is there any DOG news out there? - black321 - Jun 17, 2022 - 1:07pm
 
Index » Regional/Local » USA/Canada » Florida Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Post to this Topic
westslope

westslope Avatar

Location: BC sage brush steppe


Posted: Aug 7, 2020 - 5:03pm

LOL!  Well the quebecois certainly suffered as a result of their love for Florida.   They enjoy the highest rate of C-19 infections in Canada.

We have similar situation here in British Columbia.   Lots of folks who work seasonal jobs like fruit picking and others who live on social assistance come out to BC to party.  Speaking of Quebec.... sometimes I wonder if much of the rougher trade in Quebec just up and went to BC.  
miamizsun

miamizsun Avatar

Location: (3261.3 Miles SE of RP)
Gender: Male


Posted: Aug 7, 2020 - 8:31am

 westslope wrote:

Florida.    Where people play well together because they truly care about each other.  

 

we attract nutters

one problem with florida is that a lot of people come here to vacation and they party like it's 1999

further, they often decide to stay which has consequences

i blame open borders, warm weather, nice beaches, bikinis, easy access to beer, oklahoma and canada
westslope

westslope Avatar

Location: BC sage brush steppe


Posted: Aug 7, 2020 - 7:39am



 R_P wrote:
 
Well, at least he was freed after posting a $650 bail bond.  That why he can get drunk and continue assaulting children, and with luck become a virus vector.  

Florida.    Where people play well together because they truly care about each other.  

R_P

R_P Avatar



Posted: Aug 6, 2020 - 7:33pm

Homo floridensis...
A Florida man was arrested after confronting a child wearing a mask at a restaurant and spitting in his face when the boy refused to take it off, police said.
kcar

kcar Avatar



Posted: Aug 2, 2020 - 11:43pm



 miamizsun wrote:

because florida
 

I get the feeling that FLA has more than a little in common with Derplohoma. But maybe that's just me, being an arrogant East Coastal Elite. 




DC had its own guy-on-hood drama years and years ago with Marlena Cooke, the 37 year-old wife of the 80 year-old owner of the Washington Redskins behind the wheel.  The guy on the hood was her cousin...no no, her nephew...OK her side dish. 


Remember the good times, folks?



The wild ride occurred about 12:55 a.m., continued for several blocks and came to an abrupt halt in the 3200 block of M Steeet NW, where Cooke and the man, identified by police as Patrick F. Wermer, 26, were arrested. At one point, according to a police source, Cooke threw her gold pumps at a police officer, striking him in the face, after he suggested she remove her shoes for better balance during a sobriety test.


Marlena Cooke was a hoot. Often in trouble, often saying dumb things. Jack Kent Cooke the hubby left her nada when he died. 
miamizsun

miamizsun Avatar

Location: (3261.3 Miles SE of RP)
Gender: Male


Posted: Aug 2, 2020 - 4:18pm

 Red_Dragon wrote:

A) wtf did the driver keep going for 9 miles?

B) the driver is obviously trying to shake the guy off, which would probably result in severe injury of even death

 
because florida
Red_Dragon

Red_Dragon Avatar



Posted: Aug 2, 2020 - 4:13pm



 buddy wrote:



Your point being....?
 

The driver should be looking for a job.
Red_Dragon

Red_Dragon Avatar



Posted: Aug 2, 2020 - 2:05pm



 miamizsun wrote:

nothing to see here

just another day

a florida man (in his underwear no less)  rides 9 miles on hood of semi



 
A) wtf did the driver keep going for 9 miles?

B) the driver is obviously trying to shake the guy off, which would probably result in severe injury or even death

miamizsun

miamizsun Avatar

Location: (3261.3 Miles SE of RP)
Gender: Male


Posted: Aug 2, 2020 - 1:13pm


nothing to see here

just another day

a florida man (in his underwear no less)  rides 9 miles on hood of semi



R_P

R_P Avatar



Posted: Jul 28, 2020 - 10:22am

Florida Man who Used COVID-Relief Funds to Purchase Lamborghini Sports Car Charged in Miami Federal Court

Coaxial

Coaxial Avatar

Location: 543 miles west of Paradis,1491 miles eas
Gender: Male


Posted: Jul 6, 2020 - 6:09am

 miamizsun wrote:


now it's all starting to make sense...
 
{#Eek}
miamizsun

miamizsun Avatar

Location: (3261.3 Miles SE of RP)
Gender: Male


Posted: Jul 6, 2020 - 5:39am



now it's all starting to make sense...
hayduke2

hayduke2 Avatar

Location: Southampton, NY
Gender: Male


Posted: Jul 5, 2020 - 4:20pm


rgio

rgio Avatar

Location: West Jersey
Gender: Male


Posted: Jul 2, 2020 - 8:01am



 miamizsun wrote:


the powers that be have had access to money (spending has gone way up)

but i think results aren't reflecting that

it would be hard for me to say to parents "sorry, just hold on and we'll get it right" or "sorry, you don't have a choice right now because..."


meanwhile they are stuck

regards
 
Agreed, but the discussion isn't around THE choice of where to send your kids... it's about CREATING the choice for something versus changing the existing institutions.   I

Voting "FOR" a charter doesn't promise a parent something better, it merely presents an opportunity to try something else if you feel the current situation isn't working.

As we can all see everyday, change isn't always an improvement, and occassionally has tragic results.

miamizsun

miamizsun Avatar

Location: (3261.3 Miles SE of RP)
Gender: Male


Posted: Jul 2, 2020 - 6:46am

 rgio wrote:

The results from Charter schools are mixed.  Many have higher performance, many do not. 

There are reasons that companies merge but rarely break up successfully...adding administration rarely improves performance.  If the kids with involved parents all move to a charter school and those with disinterested or missing parents all stay in the local school, the scores of the kids in the charter school are going to be higher.  Are they higher because of the school, or is it that you have isolated the better students who skew the averages "for" the charter and "against"  their old school.  In fact, they may actually be getting less of an education, but the statistics show in favor of charter because they are starting with more intelligent children. 

States with higher numbers of charter schools are generally those with the weakest performance.  Many states need real investment in schooling...but I don't see that happening any time soon with all of the tax increases on the horizon to pay for our disastrous COVID response.

The answer isn't enabling some to move, it's fixing the broken system.  We're all paying for them, and we need to support those who are struggling so they can be productive, happy members of society as adults.  Leaving behind those who struggle with family and educational issues at a young age is going to cost everyone a lot more than fixing the schools.  That said....Florida is

 

the powers that be have had access to money (spending has gone way up)

but i think results aren't reflecting that

it would be hard for me to say to parents "sorry, just hold on and we'll get it right" or "sorry, you don't have a choice right now because..."

meanwhile they are stuck

regards
rgio

rgio Avatar

Location: West Jersey
Gender: Male


Posted: Jul 1, 2020 - 2:20pm



 miamizsun wrote:

however, if you're an inner city parent and you don't want to send your child to the local school (pick a reason)

should they have a choice? or should they be forced to stay in what they may see as an inferior education experience?

something to think about

peace
 
The results from Charter schools are mixed.  Many have higher performance, many do not. 

There are reasons that companies merge but rarely break up successfully...adding administration rarely improves performance.  If the kids with involved parents all move to a charter school and those with disinterested or missing parents all stay in the local school, the scores of the kids in the charter school are going to be higher.  Are they higher because of the school, or is it that you have isolated the better students who skew the averages "for" the charter and "against"  their old school.  In fact, they may actually be getting less of an education, but the statistics show in favor of charter because they are starting with more intelligent children. 

States with higher numbers of charter schools are generally those with the weakest performance.  Many states need real investment in schooling...but I don't see that happening any time soon with all of the tax increases on the horizon to pay for our disastrous COVID response.

The answer isn't enabling some to move, it's fixing the broken system.  We're all paying for them, and we need to support those who are struggling so they can be productive, happy members of society as adults.  Leaving behind those who struggle with family and educational issues at a young age is going to cost everyone a lot more than fixing the schools.  That said....Florida is

miamizsun

miamizsun Avatar

Location: (3261.3 Miles SE of RP)
Gender: Male


Posted: Jul 1, 2020 - 1:23pm

 cc_rider wrote:
Fair enough. It sounds like the program was pretty rotten. In Florida, of all places! Whodathunkit.

But without anything to replace it, how are students, already falling behind, going to keep up?

Some of this goes back to the issue of infrastructure, like internet access. Low-income folks are much less likely to be connected, especially at a speed high enough for distance learning/video.

BUT there's also the aspect of school privatization/choice/vouchers/charters that 'conservatives' (ha!) have pushed for decades.

Regardless, thanks for finding the rest of the story...
c.

 
the right is anything but conservative (well as long as money and/or votes are involved)

i'm thinking they might want to bust down teachers unions, something along those lines

my children are failing! defund the teachers! (joking)

however, if you're an inner city parent and you don't want to send your child to the local school (pick a reason)

should they have a choice? or should they be forced to stay in what they may see as an inferior education experience?

something to think about

peace
cc_rider

cc_rider Avatar

Location: Bastrop
Gender: Male


Posted: Jul 1, 2020 - 12:44pm



 miamizsun wrote:


 cc_rider wrote:
 

i'm not in the loop on this, but like the article says, there's probably some sort of question/scandal regarding the folks in charge

i don't see him leaving people in the lurch on this, i'd look for a proposal soon

i think he's dropping common core and giving vouchers to those who want to get their children into better schools

pretty sure school choice/vouchers are a big deal with those stuck in bad schools (usually inner city)

and he's boosting teacher pay by $500,000,000 (especially new teachers)

edit: i saw this on a tampa news site





Oversight for the program comes from University of West Florida, which was on DeSantis’ radar since he called for an audit of the Complete Florida Plus Program last year.

In November 2019, DeSantis withheld $5 million from the university’s Complete Florida $23 million allocation until an audit of the program was complete.

In March of this year, the results of the audit were released, reporting that UWF withdrew nearly $2.4 million from the program’s fund without authorization.

The audit also found that the university did not keep records of the salaries and benefits of 125 employees, which totaled $11.9 million.

Thousands of students across the state are now scrambling for answers, especially as coronavirus cases continue to surge throughout Florida and students continue to depend more heavily on virtual learning.


 
Fair enough. It sounds like the program was pretty rotten. In Florida, of all places! Whodathunkit.

But without anything to replace it, how are students, already falling behind, going to keep up?

Some of this goes back to the issue of infrastructure, like internet access. Low-income folks are much less likely to be connected, especially at a speed high enough for distance learning/video.

BUT there's also the aspect of school privatization/choice/vouchers/charters that 'conservatives' (ha!) have pushed for decades.

Regardless, thanks for finding the rest of the story...
c.

miamizsun

miamizsun Avatar

Location: (3261.3 Miles SE of RP)
Gender: Male


Posted: Jul 1, 2020 - 12:09pm



 cc_rider wrote:
 

i'm not in the loop on this, but like the article says, there's probably some sort of question/scandal regarding the folks in charge

i don't see him leaving people in the lurch on this, i'd look for a proposal soon

i think he's dropping common core and giving vouchers to those who want to get their children into better schools

pretty sure school choice/vouchers are a big deal with those stuck in bad schools (usually inner city)

and he's boosting teacher pay by $500,000,000 (especially new teachers)

edit: i saw this on a tampa news site





Oversight for the program comes from University of West Florida, which was on DeSantis’ radar since he called for an audit of the Complete Florida Plus Program last year.

In November 2019, DeSantis withheld $5 million from the university’s Complete Florida $23 million allocation until an audit of the program was complete.

In March of this year, the results of the audit were released, reporting that UWF withdrew nearly $2.4 million from the program’s fund without authorization.

The audit also found that the university did not keep records of the salaries and benefits of 125 employees, which totaled $11.9 million.

Thousands of students across the state are now scrambling for answers, especially as coronavirus cases continue to surge throughout Florida and students continue to depend more heavily on virtual learning.


cc_rider

cc_rider Avatar

Location: Bastrop
Gender: Male


Posted: Jul 1, 2020 - 9:12am

https://www.politico.com/states/florida/story/2020/06/30/desantis-kills-online-learning-program-amid-virus-resurgence-1296178

WTAF?
c.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next