[ ]   [ ]   [ ]                        [ ]      [ ]   [ ]

Israel - R_P - Jun 15, 2024 - 8:25pm
 
Name My Band - GeneP59 - Jun 15, 2024 - 7:42pm
 
The Dragons' Roost - GeneP59 - Jun 15, 2024 - 7:22pm
 
Ukraine - R_P - Jun 15, 2024 - 6:31pm
 
Wordle - daily game - Coaxial - Jun 15, 2024 - 6:14pm
 
Trump - Red_Dragon - Jun 15, 2024 - 5:13pm
 
NYTimes Connections - Steely_D - Jun 15, 2024 - 12:55pm
 
NY Times Strands - maryte - Jun 15, 2024 - 10:48am
 
Business as Usual - kurtster - Jun 15, 2024 - 9:53am
 
favorite love songs - maryte - Jun 15, 2024 - 8:58am
 
Song of the Day - oldviolin - Jun 15, 2024 - 8:08am
 
Today in History - Proclivities - Jun 15, 2024 - 6:49am
 
RightWingNutZ - thisbody - Jun 15, 2024 - 1:28am
 
USA! USA! USA! - R_P - Jun 15, 2024 - 12:37am
 
What Did You See Today? - KurtfromLaQuinta - Jun 14, 2024 - 9:48pm
 
Gotta Get Your Drink On - Antigone - Jun 14, 2024 - 7:05pm
 
What Makes You Laugh? - Antigone - Jun 14, 2024 - 7:04pm
 
Lyrics that strike a chord today... - oldviolin - Jun 14, 2024 - 3:15pm
 
China - R_P - Jun 14, 2024 - 2:59pm
 
what the hell, miamizsun? - oldviolin - Jun 14, 2024 - 2:08pm
 
• • • The Once-a-Day • • •  - oldviolin - Jun 14, 2024 - 2:07pm
 
Religion - Steely_D - Jun 14, 2024 - 1:28pm
 
Vinyl Only Spin List - kurtster - Jun 14, 2024 - 8:56am
 
Climate Change - R_P - Jun 14, 2024 - 7:37am
 
Radio Paradise Comments - miamizsun - Jun 14, 2024 - 7:08am
 
Solar / Wind / Geothermal / Efficiency Energy - Proclivities - Jun 14, 2024 - 6:42am
 
Just Wrong - ptooey - Jun 14, 2024 - 6:22am
 
Artificial Intelligence - thisbody - Jun 14, 2024 - 4:28am
 
June 2024 Photo Theme - Eyes - haresfur - Jun 13, 2024 - 9:20pm
 
Florida - R_P - Jun 13, 2024 - 3:35pm
 
Democratic Party - thisbody - Jun 13, 2024 - 9:08am
 
Strips, cartoons, illustrations - thisbody - Jun 13, 2024 - 8:56am
 
Bug Reports & Feature Requests - Red_Dragon - Jun 13, 2024 - 8:45am
 
Animal Resistance - thisbody - Jun 13, 2024 - 8:04am
 
Sonos - konz - Jun 13, 2024 - 7:47am
 
New Music - lievendegrauwe - Jun 13, 2024 - 12:43am
 
The Green Thread: A place to share info about living a gr... - NoEnzLefttoSplit - Jun 12, 2024 - 11:48pm
 
Derplahoma! - ScottFromWyoming - Jun 12, 2024 - 9:29pm
 
The Obituary Page - ScottFromWyoming - Jun 12, 2024 - 9:16am
 
Guantánamo Resorts & Other Fun Trips - R_P - Jun 12, 2024 - 8:41am
 
Joe Biden - rgio - Jun 12, 2024 - 8:28am
 
Right, Left, Right of Left, Left of Right, Center...? - kurtster - Jun 11, 2024 - 10:36pm
 
What Are You Going To Do Today? - thisbody - Jun 11, 2024 - 3:54pm
 
Mixtape Culture Club - KurtfromLaQuinta - Jun 11, 2024 - 3:51pm
 
Things You Thought Today - thisbody - Jun 11, 2024 - 2:45pm
 
Breaking News - Isabeau - Jun 11, 2024 - 2:29pm
 
Calling all RP Roku users! - RPnate1 - Jun 11, 2024 - 12:50pm
 
Words that should be put on the substitutes bench for a year - sunybuny - Jun 11, 2024 - 4:38am
 
Europe - thisbody - Jun 11, 2024 - 1:23am
 
Marijuana: Baked News. - R_P - Jun 10, 2024 - 12:01pm
 
Streaming Marantz/HEOS - rgio - Jun 10, 2024 - 11:43am
 
Is there any DOG news out there? - thisbody - Jun 9, 2024 - 12:38pm
 
Quick! I need a chicken... - thisbody - Jun 9, 2024 - 10:38am
 
Economix - Bill_J - Jun 8, 2024 - 5:25pm
 
Snakes & streaming images. WTH is going on? - rasta_tiger - Jun 8, 2024 - 2:16pm
 
Great guitar faces - thisbody - Jun 8, 2024 - 10:39am
 
TEXAS - maryte - Jun 8, 2024 - 9:21am
 
NASA & other news from space - Beaker - Jun 8, 2024 - 8:23am
 
Live Music - oldviolin - Jun 7, 2024 - 10:03pm
 
Republican Party - kcar - Jun 7, 2024 - 8:11pm
 
Lyrics that are stuck in your head today... - Manbird - Jun 7, 2024 - 8:04pm
 
What the hell OV? - oldviolin - Jun 7, 2024 - 7:42pm
 
Can you afford to retire? - JrzyTmata - Jun 7, 2024 - 2:05pm
 
Old timers, crosswords & - ScottFromWyoming - Jun 7, 2024 - 12:09pm
 
Military Matters - R_P - Jun 7, 2024 - 11:31am
 
Favorite Quotes - black321 - Jun 7, 2024 - 7:45am
 
What makes you smile? - Red_Dragon - Jun 7, 2024 - 6:32am
 
Cryptic Posts - Leave Them Guessing - oldviolin - Jun 6, 2024 - 12:35pm
 
What's with the Sitar? ...and Robert Plant - thisbody - Jun 6, 2024 - 11:16am
 
songs that ROCK! - thisbody - Jun 6, 2024 - 10:39am
 
Canada - Beaker - Jun 5, 2024 - 1:58pm
 
the Todd Rundgren topic - miamizsun - Jun 5, 2024 - 5:00am
 
Photos you have taken of your walks or hikes. - MrDill - Jun 5, 2024 - 2:26am
 
Automotive Lust - KurtfromLaQuinta - Jun 4, 2024 - 9:28pm
 
Art Show - Manbird - Jun 4, 2024 - 8:20pm
 
Index » Regional/Local » USA/Canada » Democratic Party Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 92, 93, 94  Next
Post to this Topic
kurtster

kurtster Avatar

Location: where fear is not a virtue
Gender: Male


Posted: Apr 3, 2024 - 2:16am

Democratic party pro abortion platform.

No fetus can beat us.
R_P

R_P Avatar

Gender: Male


Posted: Mar 14, 2024 - 3:04pm

More war for democracy?
kcar

kcar Avatar



Posted: Mar 9, 2024 - 10:24pm

 westslope wrote:
I'll have to read this later but: 

Trump apparently was going to ask Musk that he loan Trump money to pay off the E.  Jean Carroll fine or underwrite the bond that Chubb posted for Trump. We'll see. 

Trump's lawyers have already said that they cannot secure a vond to cover the $454 fine. That mess is going to be very interesting to watch. 


R_P

R_P Avatar

Gender: Male


Posted: Mar 9, 2024 - 3:24pm


westslope

westslope Avatar

Location: BC sage brush steppe


Posted: Mar 6, 2024 - 10:32am

Elon Musk Says He Isn’t Donating Money to ‘Either Candidate’ for President- WSJ ungated

Trump_Biden_gun



haresfur

haresfur Avatar

Location: The Golden Triangle
Gender: Male


Posted: Feb 7, 2024 - 4:38pm

 rgio wrote:

I am on the side of the police, the border patrol, and all Americans (it is sooooo easy to say...just sorta rolls off the tongue).

All I've been saying is that if you believe immigration is a threat, then you should be in favor of the bill.  The ONLY reason that anyone worried about the southern border would not support this bill is politics.  But don't take my word for it, take the head of the Border Patrol Officers Union yesterday on FNC
I particularly enjoy the host pretzeling herself at the alter of Trump. 

Kurt, let me know where this guy is wrong.  Enlighten me.

PS - also let me know why you wouldn't support the inclusion of your own Senator's FEND Off Fentanyl Act that is part of the package.  You've said repeatedly that fentanyl is a huge problem...here's your chance to do something about it.  Or was that just virtue signaling?  


Republicans usually oppose incremental change or compromise because it is either not enough or because it is a slippery slope. In this case it is because trump wants to use border security as a campaign issue so doesn't want any progress under Biden
haresfur

haresfur Avatar

Location: The Golden Triangle
Gender: Male


Posted: Feb 7, 2024 - 4:18pm

 kurtster wrote:

I thought it stood for Fuck News Corp but I guess that's a different part of Murdoch's empire
kurtster

kurtster Avatar

Location: where fear is not a virtue
Gender: Male


Posted: Feb 7, 2024 - 5:29am

 rgio wrote:

Those links only prove to me that RP has a home page?

Not that I want to get in the middle....but it also took me a few seconds for FNC to register.  Upon considering its author, the reference became fairly obvious.



https://radioparadise.com/comm...

https://radioparadise.com/comm...

https://radioparadise.com/comm...

I'll get back to you on your other post.  I'm off to the doctor right now.  I did catch the interview with the border patrol union official live yesterday and I disagree, fwiw.







rgio

rgio Avatar

Location: West Jersey
Gender: Male


Posted: Feb 7, 2024 - 4:56am

 kurtster wrote:
So what are your solutions for this problem that you endorsed by helping to create it with your eyes wide open vote for Biden ?

I am on the side of the police, the border patrol, and all Americans (it is sooooo easy to say...just sorta rolls off the tongue).

All I've been saying is that if you believe immigration is a threat, then you should be in favor of the bill.  The ONLY reason that anyone worried about the southern border would not support this bill is politics.  But don't take my word for it, take the head of the Border Patrol Officers Union yesterday on FNC
I particularly enjoy the host pretzeling herself at the alter of Trump. 

Kurt, let me know where this guy is wrong.  Enlighten me.

PS - also let me know why you wouldn't support the inclusion of your own Senator's FEND Off Fentanyl Act that is part of the package.  You've said repeatedly that fentanyl is a huge problem...here's your chance to do something about it.  Or was that just virtue signaling?  
rgio

rgio Avatar

Location: West Jersey
Gender: Male


Posted: Feb 7, 2024 - 4:17am

 kurtster wrote:
Those links only prove to me that RP has a home page?

Not that I want to get in the middle....but it also took me a few seconds for FNC to register.  Upon considering its author, the reference became fairly obvious.
kurtster

kurtster Avatar

Location: where fear is not a virtue
Gender: Male


Posted: Feb 6, 2024 - 11:10pm

 kcar wrote:
 kurtster wrote:
 


"FNC ? You don't know what that is ? You've got to be kidding after all of these years of bashing it. Fox News Channel ...
"
.
I've never seen you or anyone else refer to Fox News as FNC. Ever. 
 
Liar

https://legacy.radioparadise.com/rp_2.php#name=Forums&file=showtopic&p=3947489

https://legacy.radioparadise.com/rp_2.php#name=Forums&file=showtopic&p=3938917

https://legacy.radioparadise.com/rp_2.php#name=Forums&file=showtopic&p=3888583

https://legacy.radioparadise.com/rp_2.php#name=Forums&file=showtopic&p=3878753

.
Do I have to keep going ?

I especially like the second one.  The one in which you directly responded to me ...

kcar

kcar Avatar



Posted: Feb 6, 2024 - 10:58pm

 kurtster wrote:


"FNC ? You don't know what that is ? You've got to be kidding after all of these years of bashing it.

Fox News Channel ...
"

I've never seen you or anyone else refer to Fox News as FNC. Ever. 

So at least you admit to getting your news from Fox. Do you watch the talking heads like Hannity and Ingraham who openly lied about the 2020 election? Did you miss that whole massive story about Dominion Voting Systems suing Fox News Channel for defamation? Here, Kurt, refresh your memory:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...(colloquially%20Dominion,its%20corporate%20parent%20Fox%20Corporation.

"Oh and Reagan and immigration which you apparently know nothing about ... but should if you want to speak on this subject with any kind of authority."

So you're hellbent on 30+ year old bipartisan legislation that AFAICT was seen as a win for Reagan at that time. What a shame you have NOTHING TO SAY about the ensuing bipartisan efforts led by Republicans as well as Democrats, efforts that repeatedly got killed by the right wing of the GOP. Hey, if you have a different undersstanding of those efforts, share them with us. But provide evidence and not just your crusty memories which is all you apparently can serve up when you cry about Democrats stiffing Reagan. 

You are tiresome, you are predictable and you are apparently incapable of supporting your claims with evidence. 

But gosh, Kurt, maybe you know more about the Senate bill than these guys do: 

https://www.nbcnews.com/politi...

As conservatives balk, U.S. Border Patrol union endorses Senate immigration deal

The National Border Patrol Council, which endorsed Donald Trump for president in 2020, said the new bipartisan bill "will drop illegal border crossings nationwide."

Feb. 5, 2024, 4:45 PM ESTBy Julie Tsirkin

WASHINGTON — As conservatives in Congress have blasted the new bipartisan border agreement for not going far enough, the legislation earned a key endorsement on Monday: the labor union that represents U.S. Border Patrol agents.

The National Border Patrol Council — which represents more than 18,000 agents — said the bill would “drop illegal border crossings nationwide and will allow our agents to get back to detecting and apprehending those who want to cross our border illegally and evade apprehension.”

It's a significant statement of support from a group that endorsed former President Donald Trump in 2020 and has repeatedly railed against President Joe Biden’s handling of the border.

“While not perfect, the Border Act of 2024 is a step in the right direction and is far better than the current status quo,” Brandon Judd, president of the council, said in the statement. “This is why the National Border Patrol Council endorses this bill and hopes for its quick passage.”

Just last week, Judd attended a House Republican roundtable in the Capitol entitled “The Impact of the Biden Border Crisis” and slammed the Biden administration for having “destabilized our Southwest Border.”



black321

black321 Avatar

Location: An earth without maps
Gender: Male


Posted: Feb 6, 2024 - 9:22pm


kurtster

kurtster Avatar

Location: where fear is not a virtue
Gender: Male


Posted: Feb 6, 2024 - 8:31pm

 kcar wrote:
 kurtster wrote:
 

"The NYT is a liberal fantasy news outlet that I don't consider worthwhile just like you don't consider FNC to be worthwhile. So there you have that." You're not fooling anyone when you write crap like that. You're just confessing that you deliberately didn't read the NYT excerpts or can't respond to its recitation of historical facts.

As for FNC, I confess I don't know WTF FNC stands for. You apparently think highly of it but strangely don't use any of its reportage or analysis to back up your assertions. 

 
FNC ?  You don't know what that is ?  You've got to be kidding after all of these years of bashing it.

Fox News Channel ...

Oh and Reagan and immigration which you apparently know nothing about ... but should if you want to speak on this subject with any kind of authority.

"The dems burned us back when Reagan foolishly took them at their word with the reform package of that time and they have been lying about their intentions ever since. That would be almost 40 years ago."

You don't even bother to explain what you're referring to—nothing about the supposed Democratic broken promise, nothing about how Reagan lost out because of this supposed skullduggery, nada. And what does Reagan-era immigration reform have to do with today? Most of the main politicians from that age are dead or retired. 

 

That is when all this shit began.  This was the first attempt to update immigration and fix the border.  A deal that was worked out by Reagan and House Speaker Tip O'Neill.  The deal was that there would be a one time amnesty for all illegals presently in the country in exchange for the democrats passing legislation fixing the immigration laws and securing the border.  Well Reagan kept his side of the bargain but the democrats reneged on their part and have obstructed securing the border ever since.

kcar

kcar Avatar



Posted: Feb 6, 2024 - 6:47pm

 kurtster wrote:

"The NYT is a liberal fantasy news outlet that I don't consider worthwhile just like you don't consider FNC to be worthwhile. So there you have that."

You're not fooling anyone when you write crap like that. You're just confessing that you deliberately didn't read the NYT excerpts or can't respond to its recitation of historical facts. As for FNC, I confess I don't know WTF FNC stands for. You apparently think highly of it but strangely don't use any of its reportage or analysis to back up your assertions. 

And so we have another reason your arguments don't find much traction here: you can't or won't back them up.

"The dems burned us back when Reagan foolishly took them at their word with the reform package of that time and they have been lying about their intentions ever since. That would be almost 40 years ago."

You don't even bother to explain what you're referring to—nothing about the supposed Democratic broken promise, nothing about how Reagan lost out because of this supposed skullduggery, nada. And what does Reagan-era immigration reform have to do with today? Most of the main politicians from that age are dead or retired. 

"We already have a real stand alone comprehensive immigration bill to consider that looks pretty darned good to me. That would be HR 2.

What is wrong with this ? Why is it so bad that Schumer would not even look at it ?
"

I didn't know much about HR 2 until I looked at its provisions today. It reads lik an unrealistic anti-immigrant vendetta whose creators pulled together for political show and hardly for passage. The E-Verify system seems pretty poor at catching "undocumented workers"==see below. It's already used by 22 states . Making it drastically more effective at removing undocumented workers from the American workplace could devastate certain industries like constructtion and agriculture. HR2's asylum restrictions seem far less practial than the Senate bill's. HR2 aims to fund a wall even though Trump's administration and the years following showed that such a wall causes conflicts between states, property owners and the federal government—and it the wall doesn't work. The proposed removal of protections for immigrant children is a human rights disaster waiting to explode. HR2 provides no pathway for legalization of undocumented immigrants and no funding for increasing the capability of official ports of entry to handle applicants; both of these failures are insanely stupid. 

5 things to know about the border bill at the heart of GOP shutdown threats

Under H.R. 2, employers would be required to verify — under penalty of prison — that all their workers were documented.

The method for doing so would be the E-Verify system, a voluntary program set up under a 1996 immigration bill passed under then-House Speaker Newt Gingrich (R-Ga.) that cross-references an employee’s employment paperwork against the social security database.

That program is currently optional under federal law, although 22 states require all employers to use it, and several — including Michigan and Texas — require it for federal contractors.

Data on whether requiring the program successfully forces undocumented immigrants from the labor force is contradictory.

...


U.S. government records found that about 57,000 citizens were erroneously flagged as undocumented by the program — a number that the National Immigration Forum argues is a serious undercount, because recording such an error requires employers to know they can contest a false positive.

And a 2019 report by the libertarian Cato Institute found that E-Verify catches fewer than 1 in 6 undocumented workers.

Even catching that share could impact industries that rely on undocumented labor, however. That includes the agriculture industry, as about 40 percent of all farmworkers in the U.S. are undocumented, according to the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA).

According to the USDA, that number is highest in California — and a reason Rep. John Duarte (R) was one of just two Republicans to vote against H.R. 2 in May.

The program “would have been devastating for food producers or would have been devastating for farmworker families,” he said.

Slashes asylum

...

As such, H.R. 2 makes it far harder for migrants to claim asylum and makes the process far more onerous for those able to stay long enough for that claim to be processed.

For example, the bill denies people the ability to claim asylum unless the Customs and Border Protection (CBP) officer who processes them believes their ultimate case would more likely than not be accepted, adds a $50 fee to make an asylum claim and bars migrants from making an asylum claim anywhere but at an official port of entry.

This last measure represents a paradox, because it is precisely the backups and closures at ports of entry that help push migrants to venture into the desert between official crossings.

The bill also provides for even those who are found to have credible claims to be held in detention for the years while their cases drag on — and requires the Department of Homeland Security to expand detention facilities to hold them.

...

In fact, under the Biden administration, the asylum system has already been significantly restricted. In August, a three-judge panel upheld the administration’s “asylum ban,” which bars most migrants who have transitioned through a third country from applying for refugee status.

Build a wall while slashing immigrant services

H.R. 2 would require the federal government to wall off at least 900 miles of the U.S.’s roughly 2000-mile border with Mexico, resuming all Trump-era plans that were interrupted by the former president’s electoral defeat in 2020.

To do so, the bill would require the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) to waive all legal requirements — such as environmental review or historical site review — to get the wall built as quickly as possible.

It also would offer $110 million per year to the border forces being set up by states including Texas, often in open defiance of the federal government — with money that would in part be balanced out by defunding any nonprofits that provide services to undocumented immigrants.

,,,

And it would revive long-ignored language from a 2006 bill that would allow DHS to close the border entirely if it determines doing so is necessary to block undocumented crossings.

Ends protections for migrant children

H.R. 2 would roll back many protections for minors created under the Flores settlement, which resulted from a 1993 court case and has since guided federal immigration law, aside from a brief hiatus under Trump.

It would require DHS to reestablish family detention, and once again allow families with children to be detained indefinitely.

The bill would also make it far harder for unaccompanied migrant children to claim special immigrant juvenile status — something youth can currently claim if they can’t reunite with one or both parents, and which H.R. 2 would restrict to those whose parents have neglected or abandoned them.

It would also fast-track deportations of unaccompanied minors, lengthen the time that children can be held in adult facilities on the border from 3 to 30 days and bar states from creating licensing requirements for those border detention facilities — even in cases where state law should require such oversight.

Doesn’t address legal immigration

Perhaps just as notable as what H.R.2 includes, however, is what it doesn’t: any path for citizenship, bolstering of pathways to legal immigration or alternative means of supporting a U.S. workforce — and particularly food system — that relies on undocumented labor.

In addition to not offering any expansion to the country’s sclerotic and backlogged legal immigration pathways, H.R. 2 wouldn’t provide funding to expand the capacity of official ports of entry — the only place where it would allow asylum claims to be made.

And GOP lawmakers including Rep. Chip Roy (R-Texas) have pushed to cut DHS’s funds if the Biden administration and the Senate don’t pass H.R. 2.

This lack of action on legal immigration stands out as even key Republican constituencies like the Chamber of Commerce, which is part of a vast array of state and national business groups — from the National Milk Producers Federation and the National Restaurant Association to Asphalt Roofing Manufacturers Association — call for comprehensive reform of the legal immigration system.


There is some overlap between HR2 and the Senate bill—for instance, they grant the federal government the power to shut down the southern border during emergencies and immigration surges. AFAICT though, the Senate bill provides for far more funding of its proposed agenda than does HR2. 

The Senate bill also seems more realistic in terms of handling asylum seekers: 

https://www.nbcnews.com/politi...

The bill would also end the practice of “catch and release.” If passed into law, the bill would allow migrants who come to the border through lawful ports of entry and families to enter the U.S. under federal supervision for 90 days while they complete asylum interviews. Those who pass would receive work permits as they await adjudication of their claims. Those who fail would be removed from the U.S. and repatriated to their home countries or to Mexico.

The bill would mandate detaining migrants who try to enter the U.S. outside of official ports of entry, pending any asylum claims. Those who fail would also be removed.

The bill allocates funding for repatriation flights up to 77 per day.




kurtster

kurtster Avatar

Location: where fear is not a virtue
Gender: Male


Posted: Feb 6, 2024 - 10:15am

 kcar wrote:
Congrats on completely ignoring the long NYT piece that I posted recently, the one that recounted the numerous attempts over the last 20 years by Democrats and Republicans to fix the immigration system and slow the influx of immigrants. The primary reason those past attempts failed was that the right wing of Congressional Republicans refused to give up their favorite complaint and threw away chances to solve this problem. And oh look, it's happening again: because Trump is afraid that passage of the bill would give Biden a "win."  Mike Johnson's admitted it. Apparently McConnell has now caved too. The Democrats gave the Republicans much of what they wanted...but now the Republicans don't seem to give a f#$k about solving the problem. And people like you yell because some schmuck like Tucker Carlson or Sean Hannity tell you to.   You wrote
"You are the one who needs to come up with solutions, not me. Of course Biden had a plan for all of this. You tell me what it is. You voted for open borders, not me.
"

Rather than crying about how those awful immigrants moved your cheese (when they actually didn't), why don't you tell us what's wrong with the Senate bill.  BTW: for someone living pretty far away from the US's southern border, you sure do bitch a lot about immigrants. Recent immigrants having more children than natives and thus are keeping the national birth rate at a fairly modest growth level—in contrast to China and Western European nations which are facing significant long-term problems because of their population declines. 

 

 
The NYT is a liberal fantasy news outlet that I don't consider worthwhile just like you don't consider FNC to be worthwhile.  So there you have that.

The dems burned us back when Reagan foolishly took them at their word with the reform package of that time and they have been lying about their intentions ever since.  That would be almost 40 years ago.

The Senate bill is not a stand alone bill for openers and it only provides band aids and bad new law to the immigration issues, which by most accounts are the number one or number two issues for this election cycle.

We already have a real stand alone comprehensive immigration bill to consider that looks pretty darned good to me.  That would be HR 2.

What is wrong with this ?  Why is it so bad that Schumer would not even look at it ?

FWIW, being a native Californian, (Reagan was my governor when I lived there) I have been aware of the border and the issues for at least 60 years and have thoughts that are my own and predate anything from Hannity or Carlson by decades since you bring them up.  I can think for myself on this subject.

And even worse is that you refuse to acknowledge the difference between legal and illegal immigration by conflating the two.  I have no problem with legal immigration.  Only illegal immigration, which you clearly do not think that there is such a thing as illegal immigration.

So as long as you believe in the NYT as the last word and do not understand the difference between legal and illegal immigration, you can ... have a nice day ...

steeler

steeler Avatar

Location: Perched on the precipice of the cauldron of truth


Posted: Feb 6, 2024 - 9:47am

 Steely_D wrote:

Woah woah woah!!! There’s a replacement. They’ll unveil it in two weeks and it’ll be like nothing anyone has ever seen; they’re all saying it. 


Day One!  
 


Steely_D

Steely_D Avatar

Location: Biscayne Bay
Gender: Male


Posted: Feb 6, 2024 - 9:19am

 steeler wrote:


This has some parallels to when the Republicans, helmed by Trump, were hellbent on repealing Obamacare and replacing it with nothing.


Woah woah woah!!! There’s a replacement. They’ll unveil it in two weeks and it’ll be like nothing anyone has ever seen; they’re all saying it. 

steeler

steeler Avatar

Location: Perched on the precipice of the cauldron of truth


Posted: Feb 6, 2024 - 8:08am

 kcar wrote:

Congrats on completely ignoring the long NYT piece that I posted recently, the one that recounted the numerous attempts over the last 20 years by Democrats and Republicans to fix the immigration system and slow the influx of immigrants. The primary reason those past attempts failed was that the right wing of Congressional Republicans refused to give up their favorite complaint and threw away chances to solve this problem. And oh look, it's happening again: because Trump is afraid that passage of the bill would give Biden a "win." 

Mike Johnson's admitted it. Apparently McConnell has now caved too. The Democrats gave the Republicans much of what they wanted...but now the Republicans don't seem to give a f#$k about solving the problem. And people like you yell because some schmuck like Tucker Carlson or Sean Hannity tell you to.  

. . .


This has some parallels to when the Republicans, helmed by Trump, were hellbent on repealing Obamacare and replacing it with nothing.

westslope

westslope Avatar

Location: BC sage brush steppe


Posted: Feb 6, 2024 - 12:08am

“Incandescent” with Rage: Matt Duss on Voter Anger over Biden Support for Netanyahu & Gaza Assault

Voter outrage over its unwavering pro-Israel stance is “incandescent” and on track to harm the president’s reelection campaign as Democratic Party members pull back on get-out-the-vote efforts, while some may refuse to vote at all.


Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 92, 93, 94  Next