Warning: file_get_contents(/home/www/settings/mirror_forum_db_enable_sql): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /var/www/html/content/Forum/functions.php on line 8
Could have put this in a few different threads...apparently our business leaders have graduated from greed is good to being evil is good.
Yeah, I saw something about that a few days ago. First of all, he starts off with an argument from fallacy, and then shows a disregard or ignorance of human history.
A: Evil people are (at least) competent. A baseless claim, offering no evidence that they are more competent than non-evil people.
B: Competent people are getting things done.
C: Getting things done makes them "good" people.
that's excellent range
battery tech is getting much better range is creeping up (i haven't verified this particular sample source)
cost and charging speed are improving as well
personally at my age i can't drive more than 5-6 hours without a break
when i was younger, my nickname was "old iron kidneys"
i was a road warrior
get a cooler, load with ice and supplies and stop only for fuel
where i grew up and where i live now is about 950 miles and i'd do that in a day
of course that was over thirty years ago...
now i can fly and get relatively close with a single connection in atlanta
almost all apps/vendors have something like this
Interesting to consider....
From home to my parent's place in Northern Vermont is 420 miles.
Starting with a full charge, driving the longest range AWD Model Y listed, I would have to stop twice to charge for a total of 35 mins. That gets me to my destination with 10% left, and leaves me about 14 miles from the nearest supercharger, which they say requires 7% to get to....so any prudent person would stop at the third charger and top up to at least 50% (another 15 mins or so). In fairness, I would stop somewhere to fill up (usually Northern Mass because it's cheaper), so we can call the last stop a wash.
Once in VT, I won't get fuel again until my way home. Rarely on a two week trip I'll throw $20 in...but that would mean we're driving a lot.
If you want to see the charging wasteland I'm heading to, go to https://www.tesla.com/trips and find St. Johnsbury VT in the Northeast corner of the state on their map. There is one charger within 60 miles of where we go (East Burke).
This has re-confirmed my hunch that EV's just aren't the right fit. I'm not even raising the issues of extreme cold. In college, I used to run the car before going to bed to make sure it would start in the morning. I don't think 20 below is a place for an EV.... but I never looked seriously.
I get 620-650 miles on a full tank. That level of "flexibility" is tough to give up.
that's excellent range
battery tech is getting much better range is creeping up (i haven't verified this particular sample source)
cost and charging speed are improving as well
personally at my age i can't drive more than 5-6 hours without a break
when i was younger, my nickname was "old iron kidneys"
i was a road warrior
get a cooler, load with ice and supplies and stop only for fuel
where i grew up and where i live now is about 950 miles and i'd do that in a day
of course that was over thirty years ago...
now i can fly and get relatively close with a single connection in atlanta
I get 620-650 miles on a full tank. That level of "flexibility" is tough to give up.
We bought a new Toyota RAV 4 hybrid when we retired a year or so ago. Love. It. Consistently gets 35-36mpg putting around town; have seen over 50 on roadtrips.
Yeah... I can't complain about that anymore.. I had to sell my yacht to pay my electric bill.
Did you buy your EV back when we had rebates and subsidies to support green energy? I should have taken advantage, but I was fooled by the promises of unlimited, excess, $2/gallon fuel on the horizon.
I also take frequent 440 mile (each way) trips to see family....which isn't really "EV friendly" in northern New England.
yes i did
march/april 2024
onboard software and phone apps can help you map out a strategy for longer trips
i took a trip of approximately 2,000 miles with ease
charging is usually located in rest stops, strip malls or other places to eat, stretch, scratch, etc.
and range anxiety was one of the objections i had before purchase
i get about 280-290 miles on a full charge
it could be worse, you could be filling up an rv or a boat
if you're in the city or suburbia consider an ev
i charge at home and between off peak rates and my mileage i save about $100 bucks a month
very low maintenance too
just a thought
Yeah... I can't complain about that anymore.. I had to sell my yacht to pay my electric bill.
Did you buy your EV back when we had rebates and subsidies to support green energy? I should have taken advantage, but I was fooled by the promises of unlimited, excess, $2/gallon fuel on the horizon.
I also take frequent 440 mile (each way) trips to see family....which isn't really "EV friendly" in northern New England.
It's not every day you can thank the President for a new experience. Today isn't even a third of the way done, and I did something today I've never done before.
I paid over $100 to fill up my vehicle.
Anyone who says "Drill baby drill" is an idiot. The US is a net exporter of roughly 3.9 million barrels per day right now (July average), yet fuel costs are skyrocketing.
Good thing we won in Iran so quickly, or this could get messy.
it could be worse, you could be filling up an rv or a boat
if you're in the city or suburbia consider an ev
i charge at home and between off peak rates and my mileage i save about $100 bucks a month
very low maintenance too
just a thought
It's not every day you can thank the President for a new experience. Today isn't even a third of the way done, and I did something today I've never done before.
I paid over $100 to fill up my vehicle.
Anyone who says "Drill baby drill" is an idiot. The US is a net exporter of roughly 3.9 million barrels per day right now (July average), yet fuel costs are skyrocketing.
Good thing we won in Iran so quickly, or this could get messy.
Odd that the "stop dumping our water into the sea" crowd is pretty silent about "selling our oil to the global market"
It's not every day you can thank the President for a new experience. Today isn't even a third of the way done, and I did something today I've never done before.
I paid over $100 to fill up my vehicle.
Anyone who says "Drill baby drill" is an idiot. The US is a net exporter of roughly 3.9 million barrels per day right now (July average), yet fuel costs are skyrocketing.
Good thing we won in Iran so quickly, or this could get messy.