[ ]   [ ]   [ ]                        [ ]      [ ]   [ ]

Mixtape Culture Club - ColdMiser - Aug 17, 2022 - 6:44am
 
Annoying stuff. not things that piss you off, just annoyi... - Coaxial - Aug 17, 2022 - 6:35am
 
Wordle - daily game - maryte - Aug 17, 2022 - 6:26am
 
Cheney, Dick - sunybuny - Aug 17, 2022 - 6:22am
 
Republican Party - sunybuny - Aug 17, 2022 - 6:13am
 
Little known information...maybe even facts - sunybuny - Aug 17, 2022 - 6:09am
 
Radio Paradise Comments - sunybuny - Aug 17, 2022 - 6:08am
 
Russia - miamizsun - Aug 17, 2022 - 5:44am
 
Nuclear power - saviour or scourge? - miamizsun - Aug 17, 2022 - 5:14am
 
Joe Biden - NoEnzLefttoSplit - Aug 16, 2022 - 10:50pm
 
YouTube: Music-Videos - R_P - Aug 16, 2022 - 7:19pm
 
Guns - Red_Dragon - Aug 16, 2022 - 6:28pm
 
The Obituary Page - Antigone - Aug 16, 2022 - 5:33pm
 
Amazon Products (May Contain Spam) - haresfur - Aug 16, 2022 - 4:02pm
 
Democratic Party - Red_Dragon - Aug 16, 2022 - 2:29pm
 
The Hat Project - kcar - Aug 16, 2022 - 2:20pm
 
Climate Change - R_P - Aug 16, 2022 - 10:06am
 
Live FLAC support in Sonos API - alistair.bill - Aug 16, 2022 - 9:33am
 
Trump - kcar - Aug 16, 2022 - 8:59am
 
Ukraine - Red_Dragon - Aug 16, 2022 - 4:37am
 
What Did You Do Today? - Steely_D - Aug 15, 2022 - 7:55pm
 
Fix My Car - Bill_J - Aug 15, 2022 - 7:50pm
 
Breaking News - Red_Dragon - Aug 15, 2022 - 6:42pm
 
Words that should be put on the substitutes bench for a year - oldviolin - Aug 15, 2022 - 9:31am
 
Interesting Words - Steely_D - Aug 15, 2022 - 8:19am
 
Today in History - Bill_J - Aug 15, 2022 - 6:27am
 
• • •  What's For Dinner ? • • •  - Manbird - Aug 14, 2022 - 8:40pm
 
RightWingNutZ - Red_Dragon - Aug 14, 2022 - 3:36pm
 
Photography Forum - Your Own Photos - Manbird - Aug 14, 2022 - 2:14pm
 
COVID-19 - R_P - Aug 14, 2022 - 1:31pm
 
RPeep News You Should Know - islander - Aug 14, 2022 - 1:17pm
 
Automotive Lust - R_P - Aug 14, 2022 - 11:34am
 
• • • BRING OUT YOUR DEAD • • •  - acaciascapes - Aug 14, 2022 - 9:20am
 
260,000 Posts in one thread? - oldviolin - Aug 14, 2022 - 8:44am
 
Counting with Pictures - Proclivities - Aug 14, 2022 - 7:55am
 
DARWIN AWARDS! - POST YOUR NOMINATION! - Coaxial - Aug 13, 2022 - 5:03pm
 
China - R_P - Aug 13, 2022 - 3:29pm
 
Brian Eno - R_P - Aug 13, 2022 - 1:23pm
 
Name My Band - oldviolin - Aug 13, 2022 - 11:15am
 
Radio Paradise NFL Pick'em Group - Coaxial - Aug 13, 2022 - 7:03am
 
Health Care - miamizsun - Aug 13, 2022 - 6:37am
 
Sweet horrible irony. - miamizsun - Aug 13, 2022 - 6:32am
 
What is the meaning of this? - oldviolin - Aug 12, 2022 - 3:33pm
 
Baseball, anyone? - GeneP59 - Aug 12, 2022 - 12:59pm
 
Abiogenesis! - R_P - Aug 12, 2022 - 12:02pm
 
PASS THE BEER - kcar - Aug 12, 2022 - 11:33am
 
It's the economy stupid. - rgio - Aug 12, 2022 - 9:06am
 
What's Precious and Sacred to Islam? - Red_Dragon - Aug 12, 2022 - 8:38am
 
Floyd forum - Proclivities - Aug 12, 2022 - 8:12am
 
So... what's been happening here lately? - sunybuny - Aug 12, 2022 - 5:44am
 
Time to lawyer up! - NoEnzLefttoSplit - Aug 11, 2022 - 10:52pm
 
Upcoming concerts or shows you can't wait to see - Proclivities - Aug 11, 2022 - 10:35am
 
• • • The Once-a-Day • • •  - oldviolin - Aug 11, 2022 - 10:04am
 
How to Use RP? - kcar - Aug 11, 2022 - 9:53am
 
Got Road Rage? - Red_Dragon - Aug 11, 2022 - 8:12am
 
>>>>>>Knitted - Antigone - Aug 11, 2022 - 2:37am
 
India - Red_Dragon - Aug 10, 2022 - 4:36pm
 
godnarb: the Lunchurch - ScottFromWyoming - Aug 10, 2022 - 11:24am
 
Peace - thisbody - Aug 10, 2022 - 8:59am
 
Derplahoma! - sunybuny - Aug 10, 2022 - 6:02am
 
Bug Reports & Feature Requests - GeneP59 - Aug 9, 2022 - 4:37pm
 
Museum Of Bad Album Covers - KurtfromLaQuinta - Aug 9, 2022 - 4:19pm
 
MQA Stream Coming to BLUOS - robin2 - Aug 9, 2022 - 11:47am
 
RPeeps who would have a sense of humor if they were not s... - miamizsun - Aug 9, 2022 - 10:14am
 
Things that make you happy - GeneP59 - Aug 9, 2022 - 8:47am
 
unusual time signatures - ScottFromWyoming - Aug 9, 2022 - 8:26am
 
Best/worst white reggae/ska/rcksteady - thisbody - Aug 9, 2022 - 6:54am
 
More reggae, less Marley please - thisbody - Aug 9, 2022 - 6:48am
 
Media Bias - Red_Dragon - Aug 9, 2022 - 6:34am
 
Things Forgotten. - Steely_D - Aug 8, 2022 - 10:24pm
 
Things You Thought Today - oldviolin - Aug 8, 2022 - 7:28pm
 
Talk Behind Their Backs Forum - GeneP59 - Aug 8, 2022 - 9:56am
 
Food - ScottFromWyoming - Aug 8, 2022 - 9:56am
 
John Lennon's Jukebox - thisbody - Aug 8, 2022 - 4:55am
 
Portishead S. O. S. - geoff_morphini - Aug 7, 2022 - 10:43pm
 
Index » Radio Paradise/General » About RP » A lot of 'obscure' repetition lately? Page: 1, 2  Next
Post to this Topic
oldviolin

oldviolin Avatar

Location: esse quam videri
Gender: Male


Posted: Jan 19, 2022 - 9:29am

oldviolin

oldviolin Avatar

Location: esse quam videri
Gender: Male


Posted: Jan 18, 2022 - 12:49pm

 Steely_D wrote:
 oldviolin wrote:
 
Absolutely in my top ten tunes of all time. Listen to how many melodies he throws in there - AND DOESN’T HAVE TO.
Plus, there’s this.
Cumberland gap, Cumberland gap…
 
Posting it was a play on a theme I had running through my crazy head yeasterday. Somebody gave me the final ingredient a little while ago! Just trying to bake a birthday cake for Coaxial cause he's an olden feller now. Hey hey, you know what they say! Olden is Golden! LOL
oldviolin

oldviolin Avatar

Location: esse quam videri
Gender: Male


Posted: Jan 18, 2022 - 12:35pm

Manbird

Manbird Avatar

Location: Owl Creek Bridge
Gender: Male


Posted: Jan 14, 2022 - 10:01am

 Proclivities wrote:

When I want to listen to ambient/electronica/drone, etc. (often when I'm painting or drawing or something like that) I usually stream one of the channels from SOMA-FM - one of the Groove Salad channels, or SF-10-33, Secret Agent, etc.





Proclivities

Proclivities Avatar

Location: Paris of the Piedmont
Gender: Male


Posted: Jan 14, 2022 - 4:45am

 Manbird wrote:
I really wish there was a spot for ambient/electronica genre. There's no feed here that provides enough of that.
I get it - they submit to one suggestion and it snowballs - so best not to address anyone's ideas. But still...
I just can't listen anymore. But I still I donate a few shekels when asked. The forums are worth a few quid 

When I want to listen to ambient/electronica/drone, etc. (often when I'm painting or drawing or something like that) I usually stream one of the channels from SOMA-FM - one of the Groove Salad channels, or SF-10-33, Secret Agent, etc.

miamizsun

miamizsun Avatar

Location: (3261.3 Miles SE of RP)
Gender: Male


Posted: Jan 14, 2022 - 4:05am

 Manbird wrote:
I really wish there was a spot for ambient/electronica genre. There's no feed here that provides enough of that.
I get it - they submit to one suggestion and it snowballs - so best not to address anyone's ideas. But still...
I just can't listen anymore. But I still I donate a few shekels when asked. The forums are worth a few quid 
 

like groove salad electronica?
i dunno, electronica seems to cover a lot
lean on a keyboard or synth and create a loop?
keep tweaking the ear worm until your headlights come on?
please elaborate!


oldviolin

oldviolin Avatar

Location: esse quam videri
Gender: Male


Posted: Jan 13, 2022 - 8:21pm

 Manbird wrote:
 Ohmsen wrote:

For me, RP has been a constant in my daily listenings since it's beginnings (mid-late 90's) if I remember right.
My daily listenings have largely increased over the last decade, up to more than 3-5 hrs daily. Unfortunately to my taste, some kind of saturation started setting in, over time, and especially, lately (1-2 years).  That saturation is clearly driven by RP's repetition of their musical vocabulary. Sad, but true, imo. I have been posting lotsa links to other tunes on this forum, in hope to enrich some scope, at least here and there. I can say, that some of my inputs were even considered to be played on RP, for which I am thankful.  24*7*356 radio is a challenge. And RP is still THE one and only go-to for me in this regard. And yes, I have been a supporter, to my limited ability. Still.... A major enrichment, or brush-up to the World/Etc. Mix would be felt as dearly needed, next to some fresh new impulses, like e.g. a mix of Jazz and more diverse music being played. Thank you RP, and thanx for considering my personal rant. Jay Radio Paradise!

I really wish there was a spot for ambient/electronica genre. There's no feed here that provides enough of that.
I get it - they submit to one suggestion and it snowballs - so best not to address anyone's ideas. But still...
I just can't listen anymore. But I still I donate a few shekels when asked. The forums are worth a few quid 
 
Lol. That's like some backward over the underhand challenge, huh? Maybe a little side project. Kind of like the RP basement or something. Album oriented. Play whole sides or LPs. Maybe a live stream with member enthusiasts doing mini sets. Spin records on vintage equipment. Be raw and human and imperfect. Or perfect. Who can know what that looks like? LOLOL Nobody ever died for thinking up great ideas...I hope...Idealism is the new black. Or is it ideology? I can't remember......
Manbird

Manbird Avatar

Location: Owl Creek Bridge
Gender: Male


Posted: Jan 13, 2022 - 12:02pm

 Ohmsen wrote:

For me, RP has been a constant in my daily listenings since it's beginnings (mid-late 90's) if I remember right.
My daily listenings have largely increased over the last decade, up to more than 3-5 hrs daily.

Unfortunately to my taste, some kind of saturation started setting in, over time, and especially, lately (1-2 years).  That saturation is clearly driven by RP's repetition of their musical vocabulary. Sad, but true, imo.

I have been posting lotsa links to other tunes on this forum, in hope to enrich some scope, at least here and there. I can say, that some of my inputs were even considered to be played on RP, for which I am thankful. 

24*7*356 radio is a challenge. And RP is still THE one and only go-to for me in this regard.

And yes, I have been a supporter, to my limited ability.

Still....

A major enrichment, or brush-up to the World/Etc. Mix would be felt as dearly needed, next to some fresh new impulses, like e.g. a mix of Jazz and more diverse music being played.

Thank you RP, and thanx for considering my personal rant.

Jay Radio Paradise!



I really wish there was a spot for ambient/electronica genre. There's no feed here that provides enough of that.
I get it - they submit to one suggestion and it snowballs - so best not to address anyone's ideas. But still...
I just can't listen anymore. But I still I donate a few shekels when asked. The forums are worth a few quid 






ditty

ditty Avatar

Location: centex
Gender: Female


Posted: Sep 14, 2016 - 2:47pm

 Ashloh wrote:
I think it is probly because I listen to it 12 hours a day to be fair.
But still worth a mention just to field other opinion. 
 
I've got it playing from 7am to 5pm every workday.  Like Scott said, there's a groove to it and some days it seems like I hear the same songs.  Then I look at the last time it played and realize it was last week.  :shrug:
Ashloh

Ashloh Avatar



Posted: Sep 14, 2016 - 1:37pm

I think it is probly because I listen to it 12 hours a day to be fair.
But still worth a mention just to field other opinion. 
ScottFromWyoming

ScottFromWyoming Avatar

Location: Powell
Gender: Male


Posted: Sep 14, 2016 - 12:55pm

If I hate a song, I notice it every time it plays... there may be something going on with a select few songs that get bumped from the OBSCURE pile to the FEATURE pile for a while, but it isn't everything.
 
I've experienced it and complained about it and then posted about it many many times, though: Newer listeners start to get bugged about the playlist after a couple of months. Then (without RP actually changing) it gets better. Then in a few more months the playlist seems old again. Then it gets better. And then repeat roughly every 6 months. RP is fairly constant, but statistically, you're going to hear a particular song way more often than others, and your listening habits and the playlist get into some harmonics where you're perfectly in sync and everything's great, then just like that it's just a nasty buzz for a while. Go away, come back, it'll be fine.
Proclivities

Proclivities Avatar

Location: Paris of the Piedmont
Gender: Male


Posted: Sep 14, 2016 - 12:47pm

 Ashloh wrote:
I think there is a ton of repetition, and was also wondering if there may be an underlying reason for it.
I keep giving it the benefit of the doubt, but even my wife and kids have started to mock the fact that I must be on RP because they keep hearing the same things.
I'm sure it was not like this 8 months ago. But for the last couple of months it's felt like groundhog day. 
 
I haven't noticed that - at least not for specific songs (unless the song is on a very new album). There are particular artists who are definitely played every day (that's a different topic), but I don't notice very much repetition of distinct tracks or playlists when I'm listening.  I don't listen to RP continually though (I switch around between a few other sources of music), so there could be something I'm not noticing, but it doesn't seem likely when I look at the playlists.
Ashloh

Ashloh Avatar



Posted: Sep 14, 2016 - 12:36pm

I think there is a ton of repetition, and was also wondering if there may be an underlying reason for it.
I keep giving it the benefit of the doubt, but even my wife and kids have started to mock the fact that I must be on RP because they keep hearing the same things.
I'm sure it was not like this 8 months ago. But for the last couple of months it's felt like groundhog day. 
ssg

ssg Avatar

Location: California, US
Gender: Male


Posted: Sep 14, 2016 - 10:13am

 birdland wrote:
I've been a member for a long time - I've recently noticed a lot of obscure tunes being played at a high rate of repetition (Leonard Cohen - "Who by Fire", Steely Dan "Don't Take Me Alive" (many others)). And although I love these tunes, 3 - 4 times in the last 30 days seems a very high rotation for something from the back catalogue. And this is a new perception for me. I've never thought, "What the hell, that again?" for the years I've been listening here. Is there something up? A loss of license from a particular distributor, or restricted access to songs?

Anyone else sensing this?

 
I came to forum to say that. It's not about a specific song or artist but I feel like we are listening to a very limited set nowadays. I'm only ok with too much David Bowie. I wonder if it was because change in licensing fees/terms too.  
miamizsun

miamizsun Avatar

Location: (3261.3 Miles SE of RP)
Gender: Male


Posted: Jan 15, 2016 - 3:11pm

 Steely_D wrote:

He plays on a Brian Protheroe tune. So there's that.

 
here's a nice tune



Steely_D

Steely_D Avatar

Location: Biscayne Bay
Gender: Male


Posted: Jan 14, 2016 - 12:47pm

 miamizsun wrote:

i'd like to hear more ian anderson

 
He plays on a Brian Protheroe tune. So there's that.
Proclivities

Proclivities Avatar

Location: Paris of the Piedmont
Gender: Male


Posted: Jan 14, 2016 - 11:28am

filthy poem
miamizsun

miamizsun Avatar

Location: (3261.3 Miles SE of RP)
Gender: Male


Posted: May 4, 2013 - 5:14am

break the mold...


samiyam

samiyam Avatar

Location: Moving North


Posted: May 3, 2013 - 10:00pm

 birdland wrote:
I've been a member for a long time - I've recently noticed a lot of obscure tunes being played at a high rate of repetition (Leonard Cohen - "Who by Fire", Steely Dan "Don't Take Me Alive" (many others)). And although I love these tunes, 3 - 4 times in the last 30 days seems a very high rotation for something from the back catalogue. And this is a new perception for me. I've never thought, "What the hell, that again?" for the years I've been listening here. Is there something up? A loss of license from a particular distributor, or restricted access to songs?

Anyone else sensing this?

 
Send Bill a small note and then let him roll.  He doesn't need our help.
lily34

lily34 Avatar

Location: GTFO
Gender: Female


Posted: May 3, 2013 - 6:06am

 Proclivities wrote:

How did you make that happen?  It's magic!

 

i'm magic!


Page: 1, 2  Next